The Time of the Edits




Before I finished my first draft, I thought the Time of Edits would a process fraught with anxiety. But I was wrong. It has been a surprisingly enjoyable movement through the through the pages I have created. Editing has allowed me to see my strengths as a writer as well as my weaknesses.

As I work through my story as a reader, I am able to enjoy my characters and rather than see their lacking, I am happy to find myself, jumping at chances to bring their personality and actions out further and more vividly.

All this is because I am treading familiar ground. Having worked through one draft, I have the skeleton and muscles of my story fleshed out in my mind and heart. So that now, as I read through and mark up and post it all over the place where I need to show more, or maybe less, it is the act of placing the skin over the body of my work. It feels like a give-and-take; a relationship with the world and its inhabitants that I have devised.

Hey, writing is fun
work, but fun

Comments

  1. "Edit" is a wonderful word. It is the word that draws the line in the sand. You are finished with the first draft. Congratulations. Now the new phase begins. I await with relish the new insite you will use to complete your wonderful living and breathing novel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironic Dance Teaser

Chick in the Nest