FROM ATASCADERO



I am on a week-long personal writing retreat on the central coast. I have reworked a few sections of Ironic Dance and while doing so, created a cool process to share.

I felt the need to better define a couple of key archetypes. In my story, there are two orders each representing opposite purposes. Good guys and bad guys are too simplistic, but I will use that here for clarity.

Their names are Oliver (Team Good) and Calvin (Team Bad). I needed a writing tool that helped developed their strongest motives and how they actually perceive each other and their work. This will help strengthen how my plot unfolds.

The tool I came up with was a letter. Oliver writes a letter to Calvin who writes back. I was taken aback by how much this helped define the work of these two characters and the orders they represent, which work mainly behind the scenes. Calvin, especially in the first book, is very shadowy. He comes out swinging in Book II. 

So inciteful was this that I am going to create journal entries for each of my primary characters. What do you think? Is this something you would try? I will post again on how this affects my progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ironic Dance Teaser

Chick in the Nest

The Time of the Edits